|
Introductory
Note to the Reader My linguistic experience in São Paulo,
after learning Portuguese empirically and largely outside formal classroom
instruction, revealed to me that language learning is far more than the
accumulation of vocabulary and grammatical knowledge. It is a gradual process
of becoming increasingly willing and able to participate in a new linguistic
environment. During my days in Brazil, ordinary
experiences such as shopping in supermarkets, speaking with store clerks,
navigating commercial spaces, and conversing with Uber drivers became
meaningful opportunities for learning. These interactions gradually
transformed my relationship with Portuguese. Assurance encouraged me to interact;
interaction created opportunities for noticing; noticing expanded my
linguistic resources and occasionally altered the way I perceived and
categorized the world around me. Sustained participation, in turn,
transformed uncertainty into communicative confidence. The reflections presented in this essay
emerge from those experiences and from my unusual position as an experienced
language teacher who temporarily returned to the role of learner. São Paulo
became my classroom, its people became my teachers, and Portuguese became not
merely an object of study, but a living medium through which I learned to
participate. Jonathan
Acuña Solano |
From Assurance to Participation: Five Stages of a Linguistic Journey in São Paulo
|
|
Abstract This
reflective essay examines a personal experience of learning and using
Portuguese during a visit to São Paulo, Brazil. Having acquired Portuguese
primarily through empirical and independent learning, the author entered the
Brazilian linguistic environment with partial knowledge but increasing
willingness to communicate. Through everyday experiences involving
supermarkets, stores, commercial interactions, and conversations with Uber
drivers, five interconnected stages of a linguistic journey emerged: assurance,
interaction, noticing, perspective, and participation. Drawing on concepts
from second-language acquisition, experiential learning, and sociocultural
perspectives, the essay argues that language learning extends beyond the
accumulation of vocabulary and grammatical knowledge. Instead, it involves an
evolving capacity to participate meaningfully in a linguistic community.
Assurance encourages interaction; interaction creates opportunities for
noticing; noticing expands linguistic resources and may reshape perception;
and sustained participation gradually transforms uncertainty into
communicative confidence. The essay also reflects on the author's experience
as a language teacher temporarily becoming a language learner and
reconsidering the relationship between formal instruction, real-world
communication, and meaningful participation. |
Keywords: Assurance,
Interaction, Noticing, Participation, Portuguese, Second-Language Learning,
São Paulo |
|
|
|
Resumen Este
ensayo reflexivo examina una experiencia personal de aprendizaje y uso del
portugués durante una visita a São Paulo, Brasil. Después de haber adquirido el portugués principalmente de manera empírica
e independiente, el autor ingresó al entorno lingüístico brasileño con un
conocimiento parcial del idioma, pero con una creciente disposición para
comunicarse. A través de experiencias cotidianas en supermercados, tiendas,
espacios comerciales y conversaciones con conductores de Uber, surgieron
cinco etapas interrelacionadas de un viaje lingüístico: seguridad,
interacción, atención consciente, perspectiva y participación. A partir de conceptos
provenientes de la adquisición de segundas lenguas, el aprendizaje
experiencial y las perspectivas socioculturales, el ensayo sostiene que
aprender una lengua va más allá de acumular vocabulario y conocimientos
gramaticales. Implica desarrollar progresivamente la capacidad de participar
de manera significativa en una comunidad lingüística. La seguridad favorece
la interacción; la interacción crea oportunidades para notar; la atención
amplía los recursos lingüísticos y puede modificar la percepción; y la
participación sostenida transforma gradualmente la incertidumbre en confianza
comunicativa. |
|
|
|
|
Resumo Este ensaio reflexivo examina uma experiência
pessoal de aprendizagem e uso do português durante uma visita a São Paulo,
Brasil. Tendo adquirido o português principalmente de forma empírica e
independente, o autor entrou no ambiente linguístico brasileiro com um
conhecimento parcial da língua, mas com uma crescente disposição para se
comunicar. Por meio de experiências cotidianas em supermercados, lojas,
espaços comerciais e conversas com motoristas de Uber, surgiram cinco etapas
interligadas de uma jornada linguística: segurança, interação, percepção
consciente, perspectiva e participação. Com base em conceitos da aquisição de
segundas línguas, da aprendizagem experiencial e das perspectivas
socioculturais, o ensaio argumenta que aprender uma língua vai além da
acumulação de vocabulário e conhecimentos gramaticais. Trata-se de
desenvolver progressivamente a capacidade de participar de forma
significativa em uma comunidade linguística. A segurança favorece a
interação; a interação cria oportunidades para perceber aspectos da língua;
essa percepção amplia os recursos linguísticos e pode transformar a maneira
como percebemos o mundo; e a participação contínua transforma gradualmente a
incerteza em confiança comunicativa. |
|
|
|
|
“Ninguém caminha sem aprender a caminhar, sem
aprender a fazer o caminho caminhando.” |
|
Introduction: Becoming a
Language Learner Again
There
is something humbling about becoming a language learner again after spending
decades teaching languages. For more than thirty years, I have occupied the
position of the teacher: explaining vocabulary, designing communicative
activities, correcting errors, developing curricula, assessing proficiency, and
encouraging learners to take risks with language. I have often told students
that language is learned through use, interaction, exposure, and meaningful
communication. Yet knowing something intellectually as a teacher is not
necessarily the same as experiencing it personally as a learner.
My
recent trip to São Paulo, Brazil, provided me with an unexpected opportunity to
return to the other side of the linguistic equation. I traveled with my wife
knowing some Portuguese, much of it acquired empirically and independently
rather than through sustained formal instruction. I did not arrive in Brazil
with the intention of demonstrating linguistic mastery. I wanted to
communicate, understand, navigate, ask questions, buy things, talk to people,
and experience the language as part of everyday life.
What
happened during those days made me reconsider some of my own assumptions about
language learning. My Portuguese was far from perfect. I transferred words and
structures from Spanish. I sometimes constructed expressions that were
understandable but unnatural. I occasionally searched unsuccessfully for words
I knew I had encountered. Yet I communicated. More importantly, I discovered
that communication itself became one of the mechanisms through which my
Portuguese developed.
Looking
back at my experiences, I can identify five stages in this linguistic journey: a)
assurance, b) interaction, c) noticing, d) perspective, and e) participation.
These stages should not be understood as a universal sequence through which
every language learner must pass. Rather, they represent the progression I
experienced as I moved from wondering whether I could communicate in Portuguese
to recognizing that I could learn from virtually every interaction around me.
My
experience resonates with several important perspectives in second-language
acquisition (SLA), particularly the roles of interaction, noticing, attention,
cross-linguistic influence, conceptual categorization, and participation.
Interactionist approaches, for example, emphasize the opportunities for input,
negotiation, output, feedback, and attention that interaction can provide to
language learners (Mackey & Goo, 2013). Likewise, research on noticing has
emphasized the importance of learners' attention to linguistic form in the
process through which input becomes available for learning (Robinson, 1995;
Schmidt, 1990). My São Paulo experience therefore became more than a vacation.
It became a personal experiment in experiential language learning.
Stage One: Assurance — “I Can
Communicate”
|
Stage |
|
|
|
|
1 |
Assurance |
→ |
self-efficacy / affective factors |
|
2 |
Interaction |
→ |
Interaction
Hypothesis |
|
3 |
Noticing |
→ |
Noticing
Hypothesis |
|
4 |
Perspective |
→ |
linguistic
relativity / accommodation |
|
5 |
Participation |
→ |
situated
learning / investment / willingness to communicate |
My
first significant linguistic experience occurred at a Pão de Açúcar
supermarket. I was paying for our purchases when I had a brief conversation
with an older sweet female cashier. At the end of the interaction, she told me
that I spoke Portuguese very well. She also taught me a word that I had not
known before: sacola, a shopping bag. Objectively, sacola is not
a particularly sophisticated lexical item. Yet I remember it because it was not
presented to me as vocabulary. It was connected to a person, an object, a
place, an interaction, and a successful communicative episode. The word entered
my memory through experience.
More
important, however, was the cashier's comment about my Portuguese. Her
affirmation changed something in me. Before that moment, I possessed
Portuguese. After that moment, I began to trust my Portuguese. The
distinction is important. Language learners frequently evaluate themselves
according to an imagined standard of correctness: Do I have enough vocabulary?
Is my pronunciation accurate? Is my grammar correct? Am I going to make a
mistake? These questions can become so dominant that learners hesitate to
communicate until they feel sufficiently prepared.
My
experience suggested the opposite relationship: communication can produce
the confidence necessary for further communication. This resonates with
Bandura's (1997) concept of self-efficacy. People's beliefs about their
capacity to perform a task influence whether they attempt it, how much effort
they invest, and how persistently they continue when difficulties arise. In
language learning, communicative success can therefore become more than an
outcome; it can become evidence that encourages additional participation.
The
cashier did not tell me that my Portuguese was grammatically flawless. She told
me, in effect, that I was understandable. That distinction liberated me.
And I began to understand that my objective did not need to be:
I need to speak perfect
Portuguese.
It could instead be:
My Portuguese is sufficient to
connect with another person.
That was my first stage: assurance.
I had
crossed an important psychological boundary. I was no longer merely a person
studying Portuguese. I was becoming a person who could use Portuguese.
Stage Two: Interaction — “I
Learn by Interacting”
|
Stage |
|
|
|
|
1 |
Assurance |
→ |
self-efficacy
/ affective factors |
|
2 |
Interaction |
→ |
Interaction Hypothesis |
|
3 |
Noticing |
→ |
Noticing
Hypothesis |
|
4 |
Perspective |
→ |
linguistic
relativity / accommodation |
|
5 |
Participation |
→ |
situated
learning / investment / willingness to communicate |
My
second experience occurred in a store selling home decoration items. My wife
had noticed a rug, and I wanted to ask about it. As I pointed toward it, I
asked the salesclerk something like: “O que o nome de isso em português?”
The clerk understood what I meant, although a more natural Portuguese
formulation would have been “Como se chama isso em português?” The
answer was tapis, like the word in French.
Later,
while looking at different rugs upstairs, I attempted to use a comparative
expression and said mais grande, clearly influenced by my mother tongue,
Spanish, más grande. The clerk responded with the Portuguese form maior.
Again, I had not studied tapis or maior because they happened to
appear on a syllabus. I needed them because the environment had created a
communicative problem. This is where Long's Interaction Hypothesis becomes
particularly relevant. Interactionist approaches emphasize that conversational
interaction can provide learners with input, opportunities to negotiate
meaning, produce language, receive feedback, and direct attention toward
linguistic forms (Long, 1996; Mackey & Goo, 2013).
What
Long (1996) and Mackey & Good (2013) pointed out is precisely what happened
to me. I produced language. The interlocutor understood me. The interaction
continued. I encountered a more appropriate form. I noticed the difference. And
the new form became available to me. The process was not:
learn
→ memorize → eventually use.
It
was:
need →
attempt → interact → receive input → notice → adjust → use.
The
clerk and I also discussed language learning. When he discovered that I was an
English teacher, he asked me about the secret to learning English. My answer
was essentially that what I was experiencing at that moment, practicing with
people who speak the language, was itself part of the answer. There was an
interesting reversal in that conversation. I was the English teacher, but he
was temporarily my Portuguese teacher.
That
experience reminded me that language expertise does not reside exclusively in
classrooms. Every competent speaker of a language possesses forms of knowledge
that a learner may need: vocabulary, expressions, cultural conventions,
pronunciation, pragmatic routines, and ways of categorizing everyday
experience. Though the classroom can prepare us for interaction, interaction in
real life gives classroom knowledge a reason to exist. In conclusion, my second
stage, therefore, was interaction: I was beginning to understand that I
did not need to wait until I knew more Portuguese in order to practice
Portuguese. The practice itself was part of how I would know more.
Stage Three: Noticing — “Language
Is Everywhere”
|
Stage |
|
|
|
|
1 |
Assurance |
→ |
self-efficacy
/ affective factors |
|
2 |
Interaction |
→ |
Interaction
Hypothesis |
|
3 |
Noticing |
→ |
Noticing Hypothesis |
|
4 |
Perspective |
→ |
linguistic
relativity / accommodation |
|
5 |
Participation |
→ |
situated
learning / investment / willingness to communicate |
The
third stage emerged from an apparently trivial activity: shopping. My wife and
I entered a Christmas store, despite the fact that Christmas still felt
surprisingly early in the year. There, Portuguese surrounded us. I noticed papel
higiênico, a phrase that resembles Spanish but differs in pronunciation. At
the checkout, I heard próximo, used to indicate the next customer,
followed by the familiar transactional formula: “Cartão de crédito ou de
débito?”
Later,
in another store, I encountered Disney characters from Beauty and the Beast.
I recognized Cogsworth, Lumière, Mrs. Potts, and Chip. Through Chip, I learned
or reinforced xícara, “cup.” I had apparently heard something resembling
xicrinha, which introduced another interesting dimension: the diminutive
suffix -inha.
Even
the Portuguese title of the movie became an object of mental searching: A
Bela e a Fera. I knew what the characters were. I knew the story. I knew
the English title. Yet the Portuguese label did not immediately come to mind. This
experience revealed an important distinction between recognition and
retrieval. I could recognize the semantic and visual world, but the
Portuguese lexical label was not yet equally accessible.
Schmidt's
(1990) Noticing Hypothesis is particularly useful here. The theory proposes
that attention to features of language plays an important role in their
subsequent development as part of the learner's linguistic knowledge. Later
research has continued to examine the relationships among attention, awareness,
noticing, memory, and L2 development (Robinson, 1995). Because of this, I realized that São Paulo was
constantly presenting me with potential input. But input alone was not enough. I
had to notice it. That distinction became one of the most important lessons
of the trip.
The
supermarket, the store, the restaurant, the street, the signs, the checkout
counter, the Uber ride, and the products around me were all potential language
lessons. But they became lessons because I was paying attention. In other
words, I was converting input into intake. A word such as xícara
became especially memorable because it was attached to something meaningful: a
Disney character, a childhood memory involving my daughter, a gift I was
buying, and an interaction with a salesperson.
The
vocabulary was no longer abstract. It had a story, which led me to a broader
realization: Language is everywhere, but learning requires noticing. Immersion
does not automatically produce learning. An attentive learner immersed in
meaningful experience, however, can transform an ordinary environment into an
enormous collection of micro-lessons.
Stage Four: Perspective — “Another
Language Can Frame Reality Differently”
|
Stage |
|
|
|
|
1 |
Assurance |
→ |
self-efficacy
/ affective factors |
|
2 |
Interaction |
→ |
Interaction
Hypothesis |
|
3 |
Noticing |
→ |
Noticing
Hypothesis |
|
4 |
Perspective |
→ |
linguistic relativity / accommodation |
|
5 |
Participation |
→ |
situated
learning / investment / willingness to communicate |
My
fourth stage was perhaps the most intellectually provocative. I was on a
mission to buy camisas de futebol, and clothing stores repeatedly forced
me to reinterpret familiar categories. In English, I was accustomed to seeing
sizes such as L, M, and S. In Brazil, I encountered G, M, and
P, grande, médio, and pequeno. The commercial system was
familiar, but the linguistic representation of that system was different. Likewise,
clothing departments were organized through categories such as: masculino,
feminino, infantil.
At one
point while visiting Japão Libertade, São Paulo’s international district,
my wife was looking at some Japanese-style blouses. I attempted to ask whether
the store had them for women. My formulation was imperfect, something like:
“Somente
tem para meninas, não para mulheres?”
The
salesclerks understood what I meant, but one supplied the local category: feminino.
That small moment was significant. I had entered the environment with
categories available through Spanish and English. The Brazilian environment
offered another way of organizing the same commercial reality.
This
does not mean that Portuguese creates an entirely different reality or that
speakers of different languages live in separate cognitive universes. Strong
versions of linguistic determinism are not supported by contemporary research.
Nevertheless, research into linguistic relativity and conceptual transfer
suggests that language can influence categorization, attention, and ways of
conceptualizing experience (Bylund & Athanasopoulos, 2014; Odlin, 2005).
More recent work likewise examines how learning an additional language may
provide new ways of describing and processing objects and events. To conclude,
this shopping situation helped me understand my own experience more precisely. Portuguese
was not simply giving me different words for things I already knew. Sometimes
it was making me attend to things differently.
My
Spanish was particularly interesting in this process. It was both an enormous
advantage and a frequent source of interference. Cuero helped me
understand couro. Papel higiênico was immediately recognizable.
Yet estrangeiros could become extranjeiros, and férias
could become feiras. Mais grande seemed logical because Spanish
had made that structure available to me, even though Portuguese prefers maior.
My
previous languages were therefore not disappearing. They were participating
in the construction of Portuguese. This is why I now see my fourth stage as
perspective. Learning Portuguese did not require me to abandon Spanish
or English. Instead, it required me to become increasingly aware that the
linguistic categories I brought with me were not the only possible ways of
interpreting the environment.
The
Portuguese environment could, and sometimes did, shake the categories I
thought were obvious. That may be one of the most intellectually valuable
experiences an additional language can provide.
Stage Five: Participation — “I
Become More Confident by Participating”
|
Stage |
|
|
|
|
1 |
Assurance |
→ |
self-efficacy
/ affective factors |
|
2 |
Interaction |
→ |
Interaction
Hypothesis |
|
3 |
Noticing |
→ |
Noticing
Hypothesis |
|
4 |
Perspective |
→ |
linguistic
relativity / accommodation |
|
5 |
Participation |
→ |
situated learning / investment / willingness to communicate |
The
fifth stage emerged most clearly during my conversations with Uber drivers. These
conversations became some of the richest sources of linguistic and cultural
information during the trip. My first important interaction was with Daniel,
the driver who picked us up after our arrival in Guarulhos. The conversation
began with something wonderfully human: I discovered that he had the same name
we had chosen for our first son. That coincidence created a connection. I then
explained that we were foreigners, that we were on vacation in São Paulo, and
that we wanted to buy shoes: “Somos estrangeiros, estamos de férias
em São Paulo e queremos comprar sapatos.”
Daniel
immediately asked whether the shoes were for working in an office or for
walking. That question generated another useful piece of language: “Compre
sapatos Democrata; são muito bons e de puro couro.” I already knew cuero
in Spanish. Daniel gave me the Portuguese word: couro. Near
Catedral da Sé, I eventually bought the Democrata shoes. Once again, a word had
been acquired through a meaningful chain:
need → conversation →
vocabulary → action → memory.
The
word couro was not simply “learned.” It became part of a story.
Another
driver, João, gave me what I jokingly called another Portuguese lesson. He
explained the relationship among pinga, cachaça, and aguardente.
He also helped me understand distinctions involving galo, galinha,
pintinho, pingo and frango. At the end of the ride, I thanked
him: “Obrigado pela aula de português.” The statement was
spontaneous, but it captured exactly what was happening. The Uber driver was
not formally my teacher. Yet he was teaching me.
This
is consistent with broader sociocultural perspectives on learning, in which
knowledge is developed through participation in social activity rather than
simply transmitted from an expert to a passive learner. Ellis (2008), for
example, examines interaction in SLA not only through the Interaction
Hypothesis but also through sociocultural theory and processing perspectives.
Then
came Guilherme. He suggested that if a Brazilian spent sufficient time in Costa
Rica, exposure to Spanish would probably encourage that person to begin using
Spanish in order to communicate with Costa Ricans. I realized that he was
describing exactly what had been happening to me. I did not need to understand
every word in Portuguese. My personal estimate was that I understood
approximately 80% of what the drivers said. That was not a formal measurement
of proficiency. It was my subjective feeling that I understood enough to follow
the conversation, infer meaning, respond, ask questions, and continue.
João eventually asked me: “Você entende tudo o que
eu digo?” I answered approximately: “Sim, eu posso compreender muito o
que você diz.” A more natural formulation might be “Sim, eu entendo
bastante do que você fala” or “Sim, eu consigo entender muita coisa do
que você fala.” But once again, the important fact was not that
my sentence was perfect. It worked! And this may be the central lesson
of the entire trip: I discovered that communicative confidence does not
necessarily emerge after linguistic mastery. It can emerge through
successful participation despite incomplete mastery.
That
creates a powerful cycle:
a) I
participate because I am confident enough.
b) I
become more confident because I participate.
c) I
understand more because I participate.
d) Because
I understand more, I participate more.
Participation
therefore became both the result and the cause of my linguistic development.
From Five Experiences to One
Linguistic Journey
Looking
back, the five stories no longer appear to me as unrelated travel anecdotes.
They represent a progression in my relationship with Portuguese.
|
1.
Assurance: “I can communicate.” |
The
cashier's affirmation gave me permission to trust my emerging Portuguese. |
|
2.
Interaction: “I learn by interacting.” |
The
rug-store conversation demonstrated that real communication creates
opportunities for feedback and new language. |
|
3.
Noticing: “Language is everywhere.” |
The
Christmas store showed me that everyday environments are filled with
linguistic resources, but that learners must notice them. |
|
4.
Perspective: “Another language can frame reality differently.” |
The
clothing stores demonstrated that Portuguese was not merely providing labels.
It was introducing different ways of organizing familiar experiences. |
|
5.
Participation: “I become more confident by participating.” |
The
Uber drivers showed me that people themselves are perhaps the richest
linguistic resources available to a learner. |
Together,
the five stages form a cycle:
Assurance
→ Interaction → Noticing → Perspective → Participation
But
perhaps the arrow should ultimately return to the beginning:
Participation → Assurance.
The
more I participated, the more evidence I accumulated that I could communicate.
That renewed assurance encouraged further participation. The journey was
therefore not linear. It was recursive.
What My Portuguese Mistakes
Taught Me
One of
the most valuable aspects of the experience was that my mistakes became visible
to me in ways that are sometimes difficult to appreciate as a teacher. I said
things that reflected Spanish:
mais
grande instead of maior;
cuero
before learning couro;
feiras
instead of férias.
I
produced expressions that were understandable but not necessarily idiomatic:
“O que o nome de isso em português?”
“Somente tem para meninas, não para mulheres?”
“Eu posso compreender muito o que você diz.”
Yet
these mistakes did not prevent communication. They became hypotheses about
Portuguese. The Brazilian speakers around me did not always explicitly
correct me. Sometimes they simply responded using the form that would have been
more natural. Their responses provided me with linguistic evidence.
This
is one of the reasons that interaction is so powerful for language learning.
Research on interaction has emphasized the interconnected roles of input,
negotiation, output, feedback, and attention. As a teacher, I have always known
this proposition theoretically. As a learner, I experienced it viscerally.
The Teacher Became the Student
Perhaps
the greatest lesson of São Paulo was not about Portuguese at all. It was about learning.
I have spent many years encouraging students to communicate even when their
language is imperfect. I have told them that mistakes are part of learning. I
have designed communicative activities in which students must negotiate
meaning, ask questions, interpret unfamiliar language, and respond
spontaneously.
In São
Paulo, I experienced my own advice.
|
I
became the student who sometimes did not know the word. I
became the student who transferred Spanish. I
became the student who recognized a word but could not immediately retrieve
it. I
became the student who constructed a sentence that was grammatically
imperfect but communicatively successful. And
I became the student who realized that a person who is not formally a teacher
can nevertheless teach enormously valuable lessons. |
This
experience has made me reconsider what we sometimes mean when we say that
students need more practice. Perhaps practice is not simply the
repetition of language that has already been taught. Perhaps practice is the experience
of needing language in order to accomplish something meaningful.
|
I
did not practice couro because my teacher had assigned ten
repetitions. I
needed couro because I wanted shoes. I
did not practice xícara because it was vocabulary in Unit 6. I
encountered it because I was looking at a Disney character. I
did not practice feminino because it appeared on a vocabulary list. I
needed to understand how the store organized its clothing. |
The
environment created the need. The need created attention. Attention created
noticing. Interaction created feedback. And the experience created memory.
Conclusion: What São Paulo
Taught Me About Language Learning
I went
to São Paulo intending to practice Portuguese. I came back with something more
valuable: a renewed understanding of what it means to learn a language. My
five stages, assurance, interaction, noticing, perspective, and participation, show
me that language learning is not confined to classrooms, textbooks, lessons, or
planned activities. These remain valuable, but they represent only part of my
learning ecology. The other part is life itself.
|
A
supermarket cashier can teach sacola. A
salesperson can teach tapis and maior. A
Christmas display can teach próximo and xícara. A
clothing store can challenge assumptions about how categories are organized: masculino,
feminino, intanfil. An
Uber driver can teach couro, cachaça, pinga, aguardente,
and distinctions involving galinha and frango. |
More
importantly, these people can provide something a textbook cannot easily
provide: a reason to communicate.
My
greatest realization, therefore, is that confidence may not be the final
product of language learning. It may be one of the conditions that makes
continued learning possible. The learner who discovers, “I can communicate,”
becomes more willing to communicate. The learner who communicates encounters
new language. The learner who notices new language begins to expand linguistic
resources. Those resources can alter the way the learner attends to and
categorizes experience. And participation then generates further confidence.
Thus,
the journey can be represented as:
Assurance → Interaction → Noticing → Perspective →
Participation → renewed Assurance.
The
circle continues. Perhaps this is what I brought home from São Paulo, not
simply a larger Portuguese vocabulary, but a different understanding of myself
as a language learner.
For a
few days, I was no longer primarily the teacher. I was the learner. And being
the learner reminded me of something that years of teaching can sometimes make
easy to forget:
We do
not become ready to use a language and then begin participating. In many cases,
we participate first, and through that participation, we gradually become
ready.
São Paulo did not simply give me opportunities to practice Portuguese. It gave Portuguese opportunities to change me.
San José, Costa Rica
Tuesday,
October 6, 2026
Blog
Post #591
📚 References
Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of
control. W. H. Freeman.
Bylund, E., & Athanasopoulos, P. (2014). Linguistic
relativity in SLA: Toward a new research program. Language Learning, 64(4),
952–985. https://doi.org/10.1111/lang.12080
Ellis, R. (2008). The study of second language
acquisition (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press.
Long, M. H. (1996). The role of the linguistic
environment in second language acquisition. In W. C. Ritchie & T. K. Bhatia
(Eds.), Handbook of second language acquisition (pp. 413–468). Academic
Press.
Mackey, A., & Goo, J. (2013). Interaction
research in SLA: A meta-analysis and research synthesis. In J. Herschensohn
& M. Young-Scholten (Eds.), The Cambridge handbook of second language
acquisition (pp. 407–429). Cambridge University Press.
Odlin, T. (2005). Crosslinguistic influence and
conceptual transfer: What are the concepts? Annual Review of Applied
Linguistics, 25, 3–25.
Robinson, P. (1995). Attention, memory, and the
“noticing” hypothesis. Language Learning, 45(2), 283–331. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-1770.1995.tb00441.x
Schmidt, R. W. (1990). The role of
consciousness in second language learning. Applied Linguistics, 11(2),
129–158.



Post a Comment